It’s always tough for a new author to get traction in the marketplace and make a connection with new readers, and really, all we want is to be read. It’s why we do what we do.
I’m on my third book now, which means I’m not exactly the new kid on the block any more, but I am still enough of a novice in the publishing world that I have to work at getting the word out. I blog, I tweet, I give away dozens of books here and on Goodreads – sometimes I feel like I am single-handedly keeping our tiny local sub-post office in business.
Yet each time I run a giveaway to promote a new release, especially now that we’re into the meat of the series, I get feedback along the lines of “I’ve never heard of you” or “I’ve never read any of your work”.
So I had an idea.
If people have never read any of my work, I should give them some to read. A tasting menu, if you will, of The Wild Hunt.
Step this way, messieurs et mesdames – your table is ready.
To start, a little Songs of the Earth: Chapter 1 | 2 | 3
Then to follow, Trinity Rising: Chapter 1 | 2 | 3
And don’t forget to leave some room for The Raven’s Shadow: Chapter 1 | 2 | 3
***This giveaway is now closed!***
Ooh, a new book . . .
As you may know, this coming Thursday, 15th August, sees the publication of THE RAVEN’S SHADOW in the UK, and shortly thereafter in Australia and New Zealand.
This is the third volume of The Wild Hunt series, and things are heating up. Gair’s back on the mainland with a mission to fulfill. Teia is struggling through the mountain snow, desperate to reach safety before her child is born. As the moons move inexorably towards their conjunction and Ytha’s war band levels its spears at the Empire itself, deception and tragedy await. Actions have consequences, and not all of them can be foreseen.
I don’t know about you, but I’m just a-quiver with excitement.
And look! There’s free stuff!
Because I am immensely proud of this book, and y’all are the nicest bunch of readers, I am also giving away some signed copies of the Gollancz edition. These very ones, in fact:
5 signed, personalised hardbacks, delivered worldwide
To be in with a chance of winning, all you have to do is leave a comment on this post before midnight UK time on 29th August to go into the draw. On the 30th I will select five winners’ names at random.
In the light of the last giveaway, I do have a few things I want to point out. Please note, the Rules of Engagement:
Rules of Engagement
- One entry per person. Duplicate entries will be discarded.
- Winners’ names will be drawn at random, using a random-number generator. Randomly.
- If you leave a comment and it doesn’t appear straight away, that’s because I have to manually authorise comments from email addresses the site doesn’t recognise. It’s nothing personal, I’ve just had all the fake Rolexes, NFL jerseys and Louis Vuitton knock-offs I can stand. Sorry.
- Only comments on this post are eligible. Please don’t ask to be entered via Twitter, Facebook, Reddit or by email because this needs to be fair and simple to administer.
- Please leave a valid email address or I won’t be able to get in touch with you to tell you you’ve won. Make sure it’s an email address you actually check more than once in a blue moon, because if you win and I email you and you don’t respond to said email within a reasonable time (say seven days) I will give the book to someone else.
- The dedication doesn’t have to be to you. It can be your sister, mother-in-law, boss or pet rat – I really don’t mind. I will even post it to another address, if it’s a present for someone. Just don’t ask for gift-wrap as well, because do I look like Amazon to you? Sheesh.
- Yes, I really will ship worldwide. That includes Chile, Burkina Faso and PO boxes on little islands off the coast of Australia. Neither rain, nor snow, nor glom of nit can stay my messengers about their duty.
All clear? Right, off you go then – and good luck!